Te Hiringa Hauora hosted a seminar in Wellington on 25 October 2018 to share findings from new research into New Zealand’s mid-life and older adults’ alcohol use, and the effects and impacts of their drinking on their health and wellbeing.
You can access all presentation videos from this seminar via Vimeo or view the individual presentations and slideshows on this page.
Caroline Maskill and Ian Hodges, HealthSearch Limited
Caroline Maskill presents a summary of findings of a literature review on alcohol and mid-life adults, including a profile of mid-life drinkers and information gaps.
Te Hiringa Hauora-commissioned report of this research, Alcohol and mid-life adults in New Zealand: A literature review (2019).
View this presentation on Vimeo. This presentation is slides with audio only.
Jane Falloon, Research New Zealand, and Teresa Taylor, T & T Consulting
Jane Falloon and Teresa Taylor present findings from qualitative research of consumer insights into mid-life adults and their relationship with alcohol that provides an understanding of:
- past and current drinking behaviours
- triggers for contemplation and barriers to act
- ways of connecting with this group to move contemplation into action.
Te Hiringa Hauora-commissioned report of this research: Ready to contemplate? Mid-life adults and their relationship with alcohol (2018)
Dr Andy Towers from Massey University presents an overview of alcohol-related findings from the older persons research programme which analysed data from the New Zealand Health, Work and Retirement Longitudinal Study (NZHWR). It includes: a brief look at international comparisons; prevalence and longitudinal drinking patterns of older drinkers; and a more in-depth look at New Zealanders’ alcohol consumption patterns across the lifespan.
Te Hiringa Hauora-commissioned reports from this research:
- Older New Zealanders' alcohol use: Infographic - insights from the following four reports (2018)
- New Zealanders' alcohol consumption over the lifespan (2018)
- The longitudinal patterns of alcohol use in older New Zealanders (2018)
- Prevalence of hazardous drinking in older New Zealanders (2018)
- The drinking patterns of older New Zealanders: National and international comparisons (2017)
Related research report:
A question and answer panel discussion on the practical implications of the findings about mid to older adults' alcohol use with:
- Cath Edmondson, General Manager - Policy, Research and Advice, Te Hiringa Hauora (facilitator)
- Dr Andy Towers, Senior Lecturer, Massey University
- Dr John McMenamin, General Practitioner, Whanganui
- Associate Professor Janie Sheridan, The University of Auckland.